Monday, December 13, 2010

Wine Cork Memo Board



I made this wine cork memo board for a girlfriend that has an Italian Bistro feel to her kitchen.  A restaurant saved corks for me and I then cut them in half.  Cutting them, I now see was really not necessary.  I was at first concerned that the corks need a flat surface for the hot glue to really hold them in place.  But, now I feel that they would be just fine whole and that the hot glue will hold just fine, the tighter the spacing, the better the hold and the recessed look would not be so much with a whole cork.  I found the glass-like grapes on the clearance aisle at Michael's after Thanksgiving.  The tray is solid oak, that color that look so stark and drab.  Maybe because the corks were of the same tone.   I decided to add alcohol inks in a random dabbling.  I used gold, silver and eggplant Tim Holtz inks.  I like the look, it is a warmer feel.  On the top right and bottom left corners I added 5 purple rhinestones in a line, attached with my irock.  I found round push pins in purple at Walmart in the office supply department.  They come in a nice little tin, perfect to add to the gift.  I hope she likes it.  Off to make some more gifts.  Chat later!

5 comments:

  1. Like how the frame finish turned out. PTTP ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How pretty Wende. I would have cut the corks in half too!!

    Sherry-quiller

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is Awesome!!! Love that idea and Love the alcohol inked tray and glass grapes. Fabulous!!!!!

    ReplyDelete